Firsthand Experience with Brain Mapping

I started mentally preparing myself for the qEEG (Brain Mapping) the moment I walked into the treatment room. I wasn’t sure if it was necessary, but I started to do calming breathing exercises just in case. This was clearly my anxiety getting the best of me. I have never had brain map done before, nor have I heard about it before working here. You can read more on qEEG or Brain Mapping under the Patient tab in Treatments and Services. There were futuristic looking skullcaps connected by rainbow colored wires feeding into a black device box intertwined with a desktop computer and laptop.

After removing any jewelry and taking my hair down, Dr. Mlandenoff fit the skullcap onto my head, starting with the sensors at my forehead. It completely covered the top of my head and fit snug like a winter beanie. Next, she filled a medium sized syringe with Electro-gel, which is used as a conducting gel to get an accurate brain wave reading, and started injecting it through the white holes on the cap. The gel was cool on my head and would surely have my hair messy afterwards, but was extremely non-invasive compared to other doctor’s visits. The white holes on the cap are strategically placed to read brain waves in different regions of the brain. Ear lobe clips connected to the device were also attached using a Neuro diagnostic electrode paste. I felt like a character in Star Trek.

After that she asked me to sit with my eyes closed for six minutes without talking and minimizing all movement. Dr. Mlandenoff started the test and notified me after each minute passed. I found myself surprisingly calm and comfortable during the test. Sure, I had a million thoughts racing through my brain like; Wow, this is pretty cool. What will I eat for lunch today? Am I doing this right? I wonder what the test results will be. After refocusing on breathing and being still a few times, I found it to be a short-lived meditation session. Before I knew it, the six minutes was up and it was time to do another six minutes, except this time with my eyes open. Dr. Mlandenoff reminded me to minimize movements; especially eye movements – which involved a great analogy about people watching tennis– then asked me to keep my gaze on a brain image on the screen in front of me. She began the second part of the test and notified me after each minute has passed just like before. I sat completely still. This time around I really had to focus on not moving and to continue breathing. After the test was complete, the cap came off, and the gel was wiped up where needed.

That was it.

Easy, comfortable, and unlike any other doctor’s visit experience I’ve had before. I was very eager to see the results at my Report of Findings visit, next time.

-Gina Cellucci